Adorable Baby Koala Mistakes Pet Dog For Its Mother 11/3

On October 6, 2019, Tony (an old terrier with inferior vision) was out in his yard in Adelaide, South Australia, with his owner Henry. Then a baby koala got on his back. The perplexed doggo struggled to get the cute koala, which was clinging to its fur, off his body. Every time he thought he had succeeded, the smart koala found a way to get back on. The careful doggo finally got rid of the koala by rolling on his back, then the koala ran back into the wood to find its real mother. Henry the owner, who recorded the incident in question, says the koala, who resides in his backyard, has recently left his mother. He thinks it might have mistook his dog for its mother.

WATCH CUTE DOGGO WITH KOALA ON HIS BACK

I chose this article because. I like dogs I like koalas, and I like Australia. This story is important and it affects society because it shows how much deforestation means to the animals on our planet. This little koala couldn’t find its mother because there was no familiar terrain to help him find her.

QUESTIONS

1.  What is the size of a newborn koala?

2. How did the koala get that grip?

3. Are those amazing claws a co-evolution so it can feed on eucalyptus trees?

One thought on “Adorable Baby Koala Mistakes Pet Dog For Its Mother 11/3

1. I like your last two questions! I am puzzled by the first question, however, since the article mentions the size of a newborn koala, so you just learned that. I also think you should consider adding some of the other scientific facts from the article, which explain why it was not too surprising that the baby koala mistook the sweet dog for its mother and why the baby was away from his mother in the first place.

I also found the eucalyptus information interesting. When I was in Australia, I visited the Blue Mountains. I learned that they are called the Blue Mountains because the oil the eucalyptus trees release into the air looks blue when the sun hits it. But I didn’t know that those same oils, when eaten, help koalas fend off predators due to the odors they create. Cool!