ALKA SELTZER PILLS 9/22

In our first week of 6th grade science, Aidan and I worked on measuring Alka Seltzer tablets and the size of the explosions according to the size of the pill. We put some water in with tablets of different sizes in plastic vials, put the lids on, set them on the ground outside, and waited for fizz fizz pop pop and the big explosions to happen. We measured how high the vials shot up into the air using a tape measure taped to a flag pole.

Image result for alka seltzer explosion

We did this experiment because it was a fun thing that we could do at the start of the year that involved measuring and fizz fizz pop pop and we made charts and recorded our data. I learned how to make a chart on G sheets,how to accurately record data and how to have fun with chemistry.

After the experiments, my questions were:

1.How high can an Alka Seltzer explosion go with no restrictions like weight or bad aerodynamics?

2. Can we do it with a really big jug of water and a bunch of Alka Seltzer?

3.Can we do this again now that we have knowledge on what works and see how high we can get them?

OUR RESULTS:

4 thoughts on “ALKA SELTZER PILLS 9/22

1. Lars your blog needs to be 2 paragraphs that explain what we did and why along with a reflection. What happened in your experiment? What was your original question? What are 3 more questions? The graph you made makes no sense unless you explain what you were trying to prove.

2. I agree with Shane — I don’t understand what the experiment was or what the results mean. It looks like there is a key at the top with the three squares, but it’s just colors — what do they represent? The colors are nice, though. The data is a good start — now you just need to add meaning 😉

It seems you were more interested in self-expression than in recapping what happened in science. I’m not sure that’s the point of this blog. Perhaps the science blog should stick to science, and you can make comments about mortality and dogs in another blog we could set up for you.

I’d love to see an update on your blog so I can understand what you did in science this week, please!

OK, so then let’s say we move the personal expression part of your blog post to another blog. While the comment on the bed may be true, it is very dark. I like how you are perhaps balancing it with the cute dog link, but the link to the cute dog goes to some weird video called RickRoll’D — are you saying the boy singer reminds you of a dog?

Confused in Traverse City! But supportive of your efforts!

3. Good job Lars – much better. I really like your questions. This shows you were really reflecting and thinking about what was going on in the experiment. I am not sure how we would attach a lid to a really big jug. We will be studying chemical reactions this winter and will be doing similar experiments in which you can relate what you have learned from this one.