OWL PELLETS 9/29

This week we worked with owl pellets. They looked something like this:
Image result for owl pellets
We were split into groups of two and our goal was to get a sufficient amount of pellets to create an ugly beast, a picture on a piece of paper made out of bones glued to the paper. We found lots of bones and it was gross, very gross. We did this because we needed to learn about the bones of rodents and a way scientists can learn about animals. I learned that owls eat rodents without chewing.

I preferred the day when we all felt dead so we got to watch HOOT. (Yes Shane, if the parents see this, they will know.) We watched a good first thirty minutes of the movie.

After studying owl pellets, my question are:

1. What kind of owl was it?
  2. What would it be like to dissect the rodents ?
  3. Why are the pellets grey?

2 thoughts on “OWL PELLETS 9/29

1. Cool. Gross, but cool. Love the photo of the pellet.

I think your questions are excellent. They show the lessons that you processed. I wonder if Shane will be answering them in class? There might not be time, I realize.

I am wondering what you learned about the bones of rodents. I would love to see you include a photo of the “ugly beast” you created.

You let me know that Shane told you she purchased the pellets on Amazon. That detail would have been nice in the blog post, too. I’m glad she didn’t have to bake them in her oven although you said that is the kind of thing she wouldn’t mind doing.

Thanks for letting us know what happened in class. I wonder which of your classmates you worked with? You are lucky to be able to learn in this interactive way!

P.S. Shane told me you watched HOOT — I approve, because it is quite a good movie. 🙂

2. I probably wouldn’t mind baking owl pellets in my oven Deb! Living with a veterinarian that does some wildlife work has prepared me for a lot of gross things!

Lars – if you want to dissect a rat I think I can arrange it:) But that would be a lot grosser than owl pellets believe me. I think you learned a lot about the owls diet and its place in the food chain by dissecting the pellets.

We will watch a bit more of HOOT in the next few weeks:)